3. Qualifications for being engaged as an apprentice
A person shall not be qualified for being engaged as an apprentice to undergo apprenticeship training in any designated trade, unless he-
(a) is not less than fourteen years of age, and
(b) satisfies such standards of education and physical fitness as may be prescribed:
Provided that different standards may be prescribed in relation to apprenticeship training in different designated trades 27[and for different categories of apprentices].
28[3-A.Reservation of training places for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes in designated trades
(1) in every designated trade, training places shall be reserved by the employer for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes 29[ and where there is more than one designated trade in an establishment, such training places shall be reserved also on the basis of the total number of apprentices in all the designated trades in such establishment ].
(2) the number of training places to be reserved for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes under sub-section (1) shall be such as may be prescribed, having regard to the population of the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes in the State concerned.
Explanation- In this section, the expressions "Scheduled Castes" and "Scheduled Tribes" shall have the meanings as in clauses (24) and (25) of Article 366 of the Constitution].
30[4.Contract of apprenticeship -
(1) No person shall be engaged as an apprentice to undergo apprenticeship training in a designated trade unless such person or, if he is minor, his guardian has entered into a contract of apprenticeship with the employer.
(2) The apprenticeship training shall be deemed to have commenced on the date on which the contract of apprenticeship has been entered into under sub-section (1).